Fun facts for your next dinner party (Ok, ok, only if your dinner party is full of beauty nerds!):
- The skin around your eyes is the most delicate on your entire body
- It lacks sebaceous (oil) glands
- It lacks collagen & elastin fibers
- The eye blinks about 10,000 times per day
- There are 22 muscles in constant motion
- Because it's thinner, this skin is the first to show dehydration
- Eye strain, lifestyle, stress, and aging can cause sluggish micro-circulation
- This area ages 36 percent faster than other areas of your face
It's important to understand how the skin around the eyes differs from the rest of the face in order to treat it properly. First and foremost, a good sunscreen and fierce pair of sunglasses are key! I've gone a step further and added a protective UVA & UVB shield to my reading glasses, too. The last piece in the trifecta is eye cream! SPF & protective eyewear are preventative. Eye cream is for any damage already done.
My fave is Om Aroma & Co Caviar Eye Cream. It's loaded with omega 3 & 6 (from caviar extract), organic botanicals, CoQ-10, and an energizing dose of caffeine to increase circulation of blood & lymph (which helps with those pesky under eye circles).
Here's an at home ritual for perky peepers:
- Leave two spoons in the freezer overnight
- In the AM, rinse face with cool water & apply eye cream
- Gently massage inward with your ring finger (weakest on hand)
- Use rounded side of chilled spoons on eyes as cool compress.
- Zen out for 10 minutes, then enjoy a warm green tea with lemon/
I wish you all a lifetime of laughter & joy (and hey, perhaps a laugh-line or two). May we always look deeply and see beauty in the most unexpected places. Our eyes are a delicate gift. Let's protect them always!